It was probably because I was so tired from pregnancy and a child who went from noon til six without a nap and was a perfect wild man this afternoon.
Or really, I actually turn on the wrong burner a lot even when I am rested and have a perfectly napped gentleman. Its a dumb thing I do.
I was so tired that I couldn't even eat dinner tonight. Even making cereal seemed like too much work! The energy spent chewing it... I just didn't have it.
So I put the tea kettle on, turned the burner on high, and then left the kitchen to change over laundry and use the bathroom. When I came to the living room to sit on the couch and watch some Wheel, I thought I smelled something weird. But I waited a full five minutes before going back into the kitchen. I thought, "Geez, its taking a really long time for the water to boil! I just need some Lady Grey tea.".
Then I saw flame on the front burner and smelled a terrible, plastic is burning odor. I shouted like a maniac for my husband, who almost had our wild man to sleep in his room before 6: 30 PM. He tossed the baby on the living room floor and reacted so quickly. I don't know why I was really frozen in fear, but then I just used the kettle water to put out the flames of a kitchen knife that had melted into the front burner.
It really, really stunk in the house. I think my husband and I burned the inside of our nasal passages with toxic plastic fumes. He opened up both doors and windows in our house to ventilate, which was a good idea, but a chilly one!
I am thankful for his quick actions of course, but I am more thankful that he didn't get annoyed at me or angry with me. He was concerned I was okay because it was pretty scary. He is a really nice guy for not making me feel foolish or ashamed of a silly error.
Geesh. Maybe I can blame this on the Pregnant Brain phenomenon? I blamed wearing two different shoes on it. This could count.
|"Oh, I am just practicing texting Dad at work. 911 is another good thing for me to learn!"|